Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thekkanum Vadakkanum


I recently had to catch a motor rickshaw at 3 am in the morning, to reach my home from the Kannur Railway Station. You may be wondering what a motor rickshaw is.

I too till recently had thought it as a funny word when a frail, aged man (around 80-85 years) talked to me about it. What is he talking about - a motor rickshaw - funny old man - I thought. Though I tried very hard to hide my feelings about the man, he said - "I know that you are thinking funny about me. But for your information - the correct word is motor rickshaw. Motor rickshaw later became auto rickshaw, and later just auto."

To add insult to injury, he identified himself as Retd. (English) Professor in a famous University. I had nothing more to do than hide my shame (chammal) and frustration in the following words - "Ok Sir. What is the difference if you call it motor rickshaw or autorickshaw?". Saying this I left - but I learned a new word - and of course a new lesson too - never under-estimate anyone !!

Since it was dark and having nothing to do, I started a conversation with the auto driver. We talked about politics, weather... and after some time, he said:

"Your malayalam does not seem to be local. Where are you originally from?"

My friend who was with me interfered:

"Haven't you ever seen Malayalam Films? In almost all films atleast one "ACHAAYAN" kathaapaathram will be there..."

Now the talk began to center around achaayanmaar from central Kerala (Kochi) and South Kerala (Travancore) migrating to other parts of Kerala especially North Kerala (Malabar) around 50-60 years back (kudiyettam) - and about their families and their newer generations.

He seemed very skeptical about the idea of people migrating from one area to another.

"My ancestors were always in this place only. I too earn a living in this place only. What is the requirement to leave one place and go to another place?"

I thought - "How can I convince this person? How can I make this person understand?"

For a moment many things traveled thru my mind. Finally I thought - "Ok I will give him a lecture about the history of human migrations..."

"The history of human race has been that of migrations. Homo sapiens originated in some place in Africa some 200,000 or so years ago (as per generally accepted hypothesis) and migrated to different parts of the world to establish different cultures spanning the globe.

It will continue to do so - for a variety of reasons ranging from better food, shelter (etc in the older times) to better jobs, career prospects (in the modern day) and for whatsoever reasons (who knows) in the future.

It is the de facto modus operandi of all living beings including plants and trees, which while being unable to move from place to place, still employ various techniques to migrate their seeds and / or their genetic material to far away places."

While I was thinking about all these things and how to make a daring presentation so that he can understand it properly, my friend interfered:

"Why do you drive an auto? Is it manufactured in Kannur?"

"No"

"Ok. Why do you use Petrol to drive the Auto? Are Oil Rigs available in Kannur?"

"No"

"Your kids at home study with the help of electric bulbs. Are Electric Bulbs manufactured in Kannur? Does Kannur have any power plants manufacturing electricity?"

"No"

"Your wife uses kerosene. She uses cooking gas. Are these things manufactured in Kannur?"

"My wife doesn't use cooking gas. She uses kerosene any way".

"You use currency notes. Are currency notes printed in Kannur?"

"No"

"Your kids are vaccinated against diseases. Do you know of any company inventing vaccines in Kannur? Does Kannur have any companies manufacturing vaccines or medicines?"

"No"

"Each and every people living everywhere requires the help and support of other people living at far away places. Without items, goods, service, and support from other people from other places no body can live comfortably. Kannur has a lot of things - like textiles, tiles, etc. It is a give-and-take relationship with other places. That is the answer to your question."

"............................."

"Do you have some relative of yours in Gulf?"

"Yes."

"So if your relative in Kannur can go and live in some other place, earn money, and send it back, it is only natural that you should allow people from other places (including achaayaanmaar, and also people from any other place) to come and establish themselves here."

"............................."

"Achaayanmaar (or other communities) might have migrated here around 50-60 years (or less) back by legitimately buying property here. Your ancestors too has not sprout up from this place just like plants sprout up from the soil - they too certainly have migrated from some other place - may be 1000 years ago or even before that. The only thing that you can claim is that you have a seniority in migration."

"............................."


My jaws dropped. What a simple yet brilliant (and effective) explanation - something I always wanted to give - but unable to do till date. I couldn't help admiring my friend (for the first time - I should confess) for his practical wisdom and quick wit.  And I was thinking of lecturing about migration of homo sapiens from Africa...

I was also thinking about telling our "saarathi" some things related to "resource sharing" :

"All inventions and discoveries made by human race is actually available for all - for the common betterment of mankind - be it vaccines, technological innovations, and so on. It is collective effort of all human beings irrespective of cast, creed, ethnicity, culture, or one's religious or political affiliations, to improve the quality of life."

I had also thought about enlightening him with some Kerala history:

"Now regarding the history of Kerala, Kerala had been ruled by different rulers - and was split in the following line almost throughout written history - North Kerala (also called Malabar), Central Kerala, and South Kerala. Unified Kerala was formed by joining these three areas (all Malayalam speaking) on November 1, 1956. So we still sometimes call ourselves thekkan and vadakkan, and I do not know whether there is something called nadukkan :-) for people living in central Kerala."

But my (more practical) friend saved me my day (or night ?), by simply overtaking me. If I had tried to enlighten our driver with the history of African homosapiens, resource sharing or history management, I don't know what might have happened....

2 comments:

  1. Let us try to be good human beings - be it thekkan or vadakkan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mata Amritanandamayi once said -
    "A big key can be used to open big locks only. It is of no use when you want to open a small lock."

    ReplyDelete